As we progress in the fast, I find myself looking for food
to enjoy rather than simply survive. So
I began trying different spices and different combinations for all kinds of new
and fun foods for us. Tonight, I even
made garlic bread to go with our marinara pasta, and while I still need to
balance out the flavors more, it was pretty tasty! I am so excited.
As I try more and different combinations of flavors, I am
slowly realizing the power of creativity.
I am having so much fun trying new foods, imagining how my grandmother
cooked to provide for so many with so little, but still raised a healthy
family. But with this creativity comes
that dangerous word from which I have always struggled: failure. What if it doesn’t taste good? What if I waste the ingredients? What if it burns? What if it spoils? What if…
Through all this cooking I am learning that while all the
ingredients might be right, the combination of them might not be just right
yet. However, if I want tasty food, I
have to dare to take the failures, learn the how the combinations did not work,
and try again with a different combination.
Otherwise I will be stuck with whole wheat that is not flavored or yummy
at all.
As I have dared to share my triumphs and botches with other
friends joining in the fast, I have found a certain camaraderie. We all want better food, but none of us can
make it all. So we each have been
trying, testing, and sharing. Maybe that
is how ministry is supposed to look like:
trying, testing, and sharing.
Lord, forgive me for the moments I have missed out on
creativity because I have been too afraid of failure. Forgive me for missing out on these
incredible opportunities to find joy in the hardships simply by trying,
testing, and sharing. I pray that You instill
in our children and youth workers the power of this model of ministry. Help guard them from even themselves if You
are trying to birth creativity in a new way through them while they are
resisting for whatever reasons.
Encourage them this day, remind them of Your calling, and prepare them
for Your service.
Also, Lord, for those of us who are honored with the
opportunity to receive the eager ideas from a creative soul or to hear the
stories of triumphs and botches, please remind us that we too are just
learning. Remind us that we once were
eager, creative, and hopeful. Help us
protect this gift in our children, youth, and leaders. May it energize and challenge us. Forgive us for the times we have been quick
to criticize, critique, or even change.
Help us to be ready ears, open hearts, and willing partners.
In Jesus’ name…
No comments:
Post a Comment