Today, our pastor preached from Philemon, and I was struck
by the power of the story. Onesimus, a
slave had run away from his master (Philemon) because of a wrong he had done to
his master (likely stole a jewel from the wife). As he ran, he met Paul, became a believer in
Jesus Christ, and was challenged to return to make things right. When Paul discovers Onesimus’ master was
Philemon, a brother in the faith, this is a portion of the letter he wrote to
him:
17 So if you
consider me a partner, welcome
him as you would welcome me. 18 If he has done
you any wrong or owes you anything, charge it to me. 19 I, Paul, am
writing this with my own hand. I will pay it back—not to mention that you owe me
your very self.
What an act of grace. I mean literally, God was all over this
situation: preveniently working to connect Paul and Onesimus, actively working
to save Onesiumus and redemptively working in Philemon’s heart to forgive. While it would be easy for Philemon to have
Onesimus punished for his debt, Paul challenged Philemon to be a
grace-giver. However, the letter was not
just written to Philemon; it was written to his family and church as well. It was a challenge for all of them to be
grace-givers. We can only assume that the
response was such that Paul requested, where he accepted the debt, serving as Onesimus’ redeemer for the
situation.
That is who Jesus
has been to me: my Redeemer who paid my debt and set me free. Jesus you have called me to be a grace-giver,
a redeemer. Please forgive me for the
moments I find it easier to accuse and judge, for the grudges I have chosen to
hold, for the relationships I have inappropriately severed. Lord thank you for being my Redeemer, my
Grace-Giver. Please help me become a
grace-giver in attitude, thought, and deed.
Lord, for our
children and youth ministry, please remind us that you are working throughout
the situation: preveniently, actively, and anticipatory. Please help us hold to your grace rather than
stepping into our own line. Please help
us receive your worker(s) with the same grace-giving attitude of your servants
of the day, no matter their history.
Thank you, Jesus.
No comments:
Post a Comment